Thursday, September 6, 2012

Test Season - How to get ready

While a lot of water has passed under the bridge since my high school days, I remember the big tests that would define my future. I also remember how nervous I was and how difficult it was to convince whatever that I might be under just a *little* too much stress.

As an adult, I haven't forgotten that, and it is as leading (if not more so) that this be considered. There are safe things you can do to make sure you're ready for test day. This includes study techniques, diet and perhaps some herbal remedies.

Study Techniques: There are a lot of them. What I'll mention is what worked for me, but your school advisor may be able to help you find the one that's best for you. For me, it's a slightly more sophisticated form of rote learning. What I write down, I remember. If it's critical, the more times I write it down the better I'll remember it.

In school, I'd sit down with my notes before class started and copy the most leading things (names, dates, etc.) down at least once. Then, I'd put the paper away and take the test. It worked for all but math...but that's someone else story.

Diet: The last thing a nervous student wants to hear is a trite commentary about diet. However, what you eat and when you eat it will make a big difference, both in studying and in test taking. The typical "study fare" of a student is junk food, and that's exactly the wrong thing to eat.

Heavy, greasy foods will make you mind sluggish. High carb, especially high sugar foods will raise your sugar levels up then drop them straight through the floor. You'll end up pale, shaky and nauseous. Not conducive to a good study session. Want caffeine? verily bad. It makes your eyes blur and your mind jittery to the point of inability to memorize.

Special care has to be taken on test day...and the night before...diet wise. A well balanced evening meal with no caffeine and petite to no extra sugar is best. If you can, go to bed early. In the morning, a balanced breakfast not too high in sugar and seriously not to high in fat is good. Oatmeal, fresh fruit and whole wheat toast are a good idea.

If it's a test like the Sat or Act, there will be a break halfway straight through the test. Bring something salutary to eat. Turkey breast on whole wheat is good, and perhaps some fruit. Drink water or juice over sodas. This will help your brain to function better for the second half.

Nerves: If you suffer from test anxiety, it may be beneficial to deal with it, at least the night before. Catnip or chamomile could help you relax enough to sleep. Avoid all caffeine both the day before and the day of the test, as that will make it worse. Don't take any relaxing herbal preparations the day of the test as they could make your mind "fuzzy."

These tests are leading for your future, but you can do what's needed to do well on them.

over at this website Test Season - How to get ready over at this website


No comments:

Post a Comment